Sunday, January 25, 2009 by Daniel

OK, that was hard.

My first ever 10k. Twice as far as the furthest I've ever run before. Granted it was easier in some ways in that it was VERY flat and mostly paved, but damn this run messed me up. Between the DOMS from yesterday's workouts and this, I'm functioning at a rather drastically diminished capacity right now.

Run 10k

45:56 RX



Gita set the route, and ran in front of everyone to chalk arrows - but it was a very straightforward route. He ran it in 42 minutes, which (for him) was pacing himself. I came in third, behind a new guy named Chris who runs up in the hills a lot. He and I were basically neck-and-neck for the first half or two-thirds, but he pulled ahead on the final couple miles, and finished a couple minutes ahead of me.

My new playlist was awesome, but has some unforeseen traps. "Psychobilly Freakout" came on about halfway through, and gave me an artificial hit of adrenaline that I capitalized on to sprint past Chris. That song could rupture your heart if you're not careful. But that did NOT last, and I only stayed ahead of him for 20 yards or so, then payed heavily for my ambition over the next half mile or so until I recovered a maintainable pace. Other highlights: "Freedom" by Jimi Hendrix was fantastic, and "Motorbreath" by Metallica also sounded really, really good. Time really stretches out when you're running, so a 9-minute song like "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" lasts an eternity. Not bad at the beginning, I found, but towards the end I really preferred the shorter songs, because each song comes with an attendant boost of "oh goody" endorphines when it first comes on and is a good one.

2 comments:

Ev said...

You did awesome!!! Thank goodness tomorrow's a rest day. I'm right there with ya on feeling just wiped out. Oh my...achy achy and tired!
Your breakdown of the songs and their effects on your performance are hilarious, almost as entertaining as your crazy post about your various body parts having a heated dialogue with your brain. I don't recall what that one was called.

Jenn said...

That's an awesome 10K time, Daniel!

As for songs, I still like good Army jody calls for running. They help you keep a steady foot pace, and some of them are pretty funny.

Post a Comment