Wednesday, February 4, 2009 by Daniel

I am the anti-ninja.

I've been considering taking a half-volume week. I haven't had a rest week since Christmas, and I think I'm flirting with overtraining. After a two-day rest, my legs were still quite stiff from the weekend's squats and sprints. BUT, this was a named workout I'd never done, and one that I would actually be able to complete RX (so many of them I still have only done scaled), and its siren call won out in the end. CrossFit, why can't I quit you?

"Kelly"
Five rounds for time of:
Run 400 meters
30 Box jump, 24 inch box
30 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball

33:53 RX
(splits: 5:03 | 7:03 | 7:47 | 7:42 | 6:16)

So the trick with this one, it seems, was to find a pace you could maintain without resting, and ride it through. I failed at this. My box jumps and wallballs, after the first round, were broken into sets so I could catch my breath - I did try to keep the rests to five deep breaths, but sometimes that just didn't feel like enough. I pushed hard in the final round, both because I wanted to finish strong and because Max was yelling at us to clear the room for the yoga class. That was pretty ugly - I was tasting copper in my mouth, I'm not sure if that's a good or bad sign.

About the anti-ninja thing. I am, apparently, a very clunky jumper. Whether it's box jumps or just jumping rope, I have not discovered the secret to quiet feet and soft landings. Both Max and Rebecca criticized me tonight for my heavy landings, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to soften them. I really need to figure this out, because this impact cannot be good for my knees and ankles (my ankle is going to be SO angry with me tomorrow). Maybe I need to do more seated calf raises...

No comments:

Post a Comment