Thursday, June 4, 2009 by Daniel

Strength Cycle Week 12, part 1

It's the final week of the strength cycle, and I'm ready for it to be over. Next week I want to figure out my new 1RMs, so I can accurately track progress and analyze the program, but for now I'm just grateful I don't have to do 21 back squats again anytime soon.

Back Squat x 5: 155 - 185 - 205F/4
Back Squat x 21: 155 (unbroken)
Bench Press x 5: 115 - 135 - 160(pr!)
Bench Press x 21: 120F (16-5)

The squats did not go well from the start. I've been feeling jittery and spooked about my form since the videos from last week showed such a rounded back, and my hip flexors were exhausted from yesterday's deadlifts. My form was very poor today - lots of good-mornings out of the hole. I racked the weight after 4 reps at 205 because reps 3 and 4 were bad enough to feel scary. The big set made me want to cry. I won't miss that anytime soon.

The bench went better. I FINALLY got 160x5, which has been my goal for this cycle ever since it eluded me a few weeks ago and forced me to drop back down to 157. That means I made it to 5RM of my previous 1RM in every movement. The last rep was very wobbly, but it made it up. I knew I wasn't going to make the big set - it cruises along until about rep 12 or 13, and then it goes downhill FAST.

My back is sore, which is unusual. Going to try and get some extra sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment