Wednesday, June 3, 2009 by Daniel

Deadlifts and Double-unders

Warmup: 1 mile (6:52) Not a good time for me - a minute off my record, in fact. But I wasn't really pushing that hard for most of it, just going at a moderate-to-hard pace, and I still can't go very fast in my POSE shoes. I challenged Andy to sprint the last 200 meters with me, so we did get to push it a bit.

We went with one of the MidAtlantic Qualifier workouts today, a particularly pernicious combination of heavy, CNS-killing deadlifts and high-speed, high-skill double-unders. The obvious theory behind this one is that heavy deadlifts are notorious for killing things like fine motor skills, so double-unders should be particularly difficult afterwards.

3 Rounds for time of:
10 Deadlifts (275lbs men / 185lbs women)
50 Double-unders

18:37 RX
Splits: 5:25 | 7:35 | 5:36

Pretty slow, particularly when you consider the top qualifier score was 2:54! However, 275 is still heavy enough for me that I treat it with a great deal of caution, respect and attention to form. I did them in two sets of five with ample rest in between. And, of course, my double-unders are terrible. I did manage a set of 22 in my final round, which was very gratifying.

A good workout. I hope we do it again sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment