Monday, December 29, 2008 by Daniel

Today's WOD: going down stairs.


I was pretty pleased with my results on Sunday's WOD, but it came with a hefty price. It has pretty much crippled us. It's not the WORST case of DOMS I've ever had...but it's up there. Damn rest weeks - the first workout back is so treacherous.

So, naturally, I went climbing at Ironworks.

10a(o), ML10b(o), ML10b(f), 10c(o)

It wasn't actually as bad as I feared it would be, though I kept the grades pretty low and focused on mock-leading. The first 10b went fairly well, although I BARELY got the last clip before peeling off. The second 10b wasn't so hot - I found myself in a really awkward clipping stance, hanging off my left arm and trying to clip with my right across my body to a draw with a right-facing gate. I spent a lot of time in this position, unable to get the damn rope in the draw, and stubbornly reluctant to try repositioning. I wound up back-clipping it, which isn't all that surprising. The rest of the climb went fine, but I'll need to do it again to figure out the optimal stance for that draw. The last 10c was a nice face with a little roof that went pretty much fine, but I was clearly venturing into trouble territory with pushing my legs too far, so I called it a night and hobbled home.


Climbing clip time!

Here's Natalija Gros, my latest obsession, at the World Climbing Championships last year. It's a long video, but the best part starts at about 3:30, with a tricky dyno move into a long, impossible-looking horizontal roof that she handles with no problem.

4 comments:

Ev said...

Nice climbing, even if you weren't gimpy. Way to go! I'm glad Bekka got her foosball wod in (gotta keep those wrists strong)!

MBL100 said...

I just don't get why you are so crippled from 250 squats?? What am I missing?

Daniel said...

Not really sure, to be honest. I think it's a combination of doing them after a week of inactivity (last time we were this wrecked was when we did Murph after coming back from Florida), and the fact that the squats came in such large chunks. I was fine after the Murph a couple weeks ago, which was 300 squats, but in smaller bites. The burn I felt during this WOD was far beyond anything I felt then.

Still, it's surprising to me that we're so messed up.

Rebecca said...

It may also have something to do with our less than stellar diet while in VA - another item in common with our return from FL. Lots of carbs, not a lot of protein, and not a lot of exercise or IF. If I had to guess, I'd say that probably had a negative impact on our muscles' recovery capacity.

Post a Comment