Saturday, September 13, 2008 by Daniel

Fight Gone Awesome

*18 hour fast*

Well, I was very curious to see how a hard metcon would go while fasted. I had fears of crashing hard after the first round, but that did not materialize. Indeed, I got a big PR! I am immensely pleased with today's workout.

Three rounds of:
Wall-ball, 20 pound ball, 10 ft target (Reps)
Sumo deadlift high-pull, 75 pounds (Reps)
Box Jump, 20" box (Reps)
Push-press, 75 pounds (Reps)
Row (Calories)

ExerciseSet 1Set 2Set 3
SDHP 75#191412
Box Jump181314
Push-Press11810
Row161215
Wall-Ball 20#271715

For a total score of 221. 37 points (20%) better than last time.

How did it feel? Like hell, of course - it always does. Max was yelling at me for my last three exercises in the last round, which is probably why I managed to score higher in round 3 than 2. However, it DIDN'T feel like I might puke (...much), or like I might run out of gas. I felt the crisp, light, focused sensation that other IF'ers describe, and didn't have the waves of bad juju mid-exercise where the brain starts bargaining for longer breaks and starts abandoning work before the minute is up. The 15-second call was always a call to try for another couple reps, not a call to say "ah, fuck it." Exciting.

Where can I improve? Well, I think starting with Wall-Ball was the right call...or rather, ending with rowing. I think I could go with a higher damper setting on the rower for more calories. My weakest exercise is definitely the push-press - that's just muscle, really, and will take a long time to improve. I might be able to up my Box Jump if I hopped off the box as well as on, but that makes me nervous about my knee, so I play it safer by stepping down.

17 burpees left to do at some point today, and then I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment