Thursday, July 10, 2008 by Rebecca

Rocked the 5x5's!

I had a pretty kick @ss workout - both literally and figuratively - since I both kicked some @ss, and my @ss is thoroughly kicked.

We started out with a 2000 meter row. I'm not absolutely positive about my 500 meter time because I had the display set on average time instead of actual, but my average 500m time when i hit 500m was 2:09, so I'm guessing I probably hit the 2:20 Level I benchmark for that. I know for sure that my 2000 meter row was 9:09.4 and that was WAY under the 9:50 Level I benchmark - so GO ME!

Next we moved on to back squats. Last time I tried it - which was about three weeks ago - I did not feel at ALL comfortable with the 45# bar; I basically got it on my shoulders out of the rack, and put it back down. i used a 30# dowel instead.

Tonight I did all 5 sets with the 45# bar. I did have one failure on the 5th rep of the 4th set, but I am pretty psyched that I felt so 'comfortable' with 15# more than i did 3 weeks ago. Daniel was keeping a close eye on my form, and he said it looked good. Yesterday's breakthrough on squat technique really helped.

Of course, the guy directly behind me who was snatching 135# made me feel a little ridiculous struggling with my empty bar, but he very kindly said to me that he had started with a 45# bar, too, and gave me a big thumbs up when i completed my first set.

Then we moved on to Bench Presses. Last time I successful did 5 round with the 45# bar, so I added 5# and did 5 rounds with a 50# bar. No failures. I could definitely tell that the bar was heavier with the extra 2.5# weights, but ... boy they're silly looking. They look like glorified drink coasters or something. Still. I'm pretty happy to be putting any weight on there at all

All in all a pretty kick @ss night - but I am definitely feeling the burn. I was already pretty sore from my mini Angie yesterday, and tomorrow (heck already!) I am definitely going to reap the rewards of my success today. Tomorrow there is another climbing competition - this time it's at our gym - and I have no idea how well I will do. I am hoping that climbing uses my muscles just differently enough that this week's workouts won't making climbing tomorrow too difficult.

We're meeting several people there, so hopefully there will be some good picture taking opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment