Monday, June 30, 2008 by Daniel

Climbing and 5x5's

Climbing
handful of V0's, 10c(f+), 10d(f++), 10b, 10d(f+)

Spent the day on the new climbs in the back corner, which are definitely hard climbs - there's an awful lot of negative incline back there. So lots of falling. I feel like a lot of those climbs are asking me to do a three-fingertip, one-hand lockoff or even pullup, which I'm just not strong enough to do, so I suspect my feet are not helping me enough. It's definitely awkward territory. The last d was the slab on the back that I did a week or so ago, and it was better today (though I still fell a couple times). I think it's within my grasp to do it clean, so that's my current goal - the back corner climbs will just be to work on forearm strength.

5x5's
Deadlift: 205
Shoulder press: 85!

DL's were about as hard as they were last week. My grip was starting to fail so I switched to alternating grip on the last set, which made it much easier. Some jerk tightened the rack bolts way too tight, so I couldn't set the bar high for the presses. After trying awkwardly to clean the weight up and wearing myself out, I just put the bar as high as I could and wound up taking it off the rack in a split front squat, which worked OK. Definitely hard work! I think I'm not going to jump straight to 90 next time, but use the collars to get up to 87, and if I manage that then go from there to 90. I'm pleased as hell that I managed the full 5x5, though, when I had predicted I would start failing at 80.

...And that's it for another week. Resting until Wednesday evening. Have the anchoring workshop up in Bear Valley this weekend, so I may wind up taking a week off the 5x5's - haven't decided yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment