Monday, August 2, 2010 by Daniel

"Death By" Barbell

OK, I call shenanigans on this one. A "Death by" workout is a real thing in CrossFit: one X movement the first minute, two the second, and so on until you fail. This is a sensible application of the name, as it is your failure to continue that ends the workout - ie, death. This shit is not "Death by". It's just posturing to make a tough name for a hard workout.

"Death by Barbell" Via Lalanne Fitness
Five rounds for time:
15 Deadlift #135/95
12 Hang Power Clean #135/95
9 Front Squat #135/95
6 Push Jerk #135/95

25:16, scaled to 115#.

I mean, don't get me wrong: it IS a hard workout. Brutally hard, in fact - I'd rank it about an 8/10 on the suck-o-meter. It's just not "Death By." It's "DT" with more stuff and less weight.

There was a 25 minute cutoff on this workout, so technically I DNF'd. But I only had 3 push-jerks left, and I'll be damned if I wasn't going to finish them.

The hardest part was the cleans, followed by the front squats. The deadlifts were just an annoyance to get through, and the push-jerks were short enough that I got through them in one set 3 or 4/5ths of the time. I started breaking up the cleans in the second round: never a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment