Tuesday, July 21, 2009 by Daniel

Putting my life in order

OK, we've been back a week now, and the dust has settled somewhat. I've been intending to write this post for this whole week, but have instead written NO posts, so have spent the last half-hour catching up on missed entries. Which is somewhat indicative of the point, actually.

I think the Games--particularly the training for the Games--took over my life for the last two months. Although we really only added one workout to Sunday afternoons, there were plenty of dinners, workout discussions, workout plannings, research, mental preparation, and religious attendance of CrossFit classes six times a week.

Don't get me wrong: this was a lot of fun, and doubtless good for my fitness. But other aspects of my life suffered as a result. I neglected clients and let work pile up, losing income. I neglected non-CrossFit friends and family. And I opted out of doing so many of the things that I normally do when summer rolls around - hiking, camping, or even regular climbing.

So I have some catching up to do, and amends to make. I've refocused on work, to try and chip away at the mountain of piled up requests I've been putting off. I still intend to go to CrossFit several times a week, but if I feel like climbing, yoga, or spending a day playing in the sunshine instead, I'm not going to feel guilty about missing it. CrossFit is really all about being well-rounded, after all, and it therefore defeats the purpose somewhat if CrossFit is ALL you do. One of Coach's edicts, after all, is "learn new sports."

Welcome to the off-season!

No comments:

Post a Comment