Sunday, February 22, 2009 by Daniel

Fail


I've been in denial, but this afternoon I came to accept that I overdid it on Thursday. The DOMS that it gave me negatively impacted the next three workouts, including today's - which was pretty horrible. It's been useful in a philosophical/programmatic way, however, and sparked an interesting discussion over at PMenu.

My takeaway from this lesson is that there is a time and a place for intensity. Heavy deadlifts for time is not it - I would have done and felt vastly better if I had done the workout at 185 instead of 225, I think. In general, I think that shorter (under 25 mins), low-and-bodyweight metcons are ideal for working on intensity (Helen, Cindy, FGB), whereas heavily weighted workouts should be treated with more respect and attention to form and safety. Chalk it up to a lesson learned, and come back and try again next week.

Deadlift 1RM: 225-275-285(f)
Bench Press: 135x5, 140x3, 140x4, 140x3, 135x2

I've been trying very hard to recover in time for today's workout. I've gotten more than 10 hours of sleep each night, been downing Omega 3's and animal protein like crazy, and have taken it easy on the last two workouts...it still wasn't enough. The warmups were OK, but the lift at 275 was scary. After dropping the weight, I fell to my knees and grabbed the bar to steady myself, as my vision tunnelled and a very loud buzzing completely took over my hearing. This freaked me out. I gave a half-hearted attempt at 285 (even just pulling it a little gave me a headrush), and gave up. So my score is 25 pounds lower than the 1RM I scored just two weeks ago.

It had been my intention to do the bottom-to-bottom tabatas that CFEB did this morning, but I was feeling lousy and Gita suggested I avoid high-volume work if I felt in danger of overtraining. So I joined them for 5x5 Bench press instead. I thought I had gone above 140 in my 5x5's, but looking back through my blog posts, it looks like no, that was the highest I ever got. So I don't feel so bad about not being able to finish a full set of 5 at this weight today. My bench is definitely weak - I should get this up to 175 for level II, but it's hard to work on by yourself. Maybe I could rope Jim into doing it with me once a week.

1 comment:

MBL100 said...

All part of the learning curve: so you went a bit too far this cycle, but overall, I think it is worth it, assuming no real damage has been done.

I recommend: NO (0, zilch) exercise at all for 48 hours, yes that means no climbing. .5 volume week while I am gone (you will get additional volume/form work from coaching).

Post a Comment