Tuesday, January 6, 2009 by Daniel

Rockin' Recipe: Broccoli Curry (Red, Yellow or Green)


It's been a while since I've posted one of these, and in honor of the no-sugar challenge, I'm going to try and share a few more of my sugar-free, low-carb, high-protein, vegetarian dinners (that can easily be adapted to omnivores). This is a weekly staple in my house: it's easy, fairly quick and very flexible, constructed around a few vital ingredients but open-ended enough to accommodate whatever I've got in the fridge. It also makes leftover lunches for two days, which is very handy.

Ingredients:

Protein: I use two cakes of TJ's high-protein tofu, but you could just as easily use chicken or, I assume, pork or beef.

Curry
  • One can of coconut milk
  • A cup of broth
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1-2 tbsp Thai Kitchen Red or Green Curry Paste, or a couple spoonfuls of yellow curry powder
  • 1/2-3/4 cup peanut butter (optional - I combine this with the red curry)
Veggies
  • One onion, finely sliced
  • I always use a bag of TJ's broccoli, to which I may add some combination of the following:
  • A head of cauliflower
  • Baby carrots
  • A bag of spinach
  • Half a bag of frozen peas
Preparation
  • I don't really know how meat works, but I just brown the tofu with some oil in a skillet.
  • In a separate saucepan, I'll cook the onions (and maybe some garlic) in oil over medium heat until translucent.
  • Whisk together the curry ingredients separately (except peanut butter) and add to the onions. If using peanut butter, add it now so the heat will help soften it and mix it in.
  • Once the curry sauce is simmering, add the broccoli and any other veggies (except peas). Stir to coat, then cover and let steam a few minutes until the broccoli is tender.
  • Add the tofu and stir. When almost ready, add the frozen peas and let the heat thaw them.
  • Spoon into bowls and top with salted cashews, if you've got 'em.

2 comments:

Ev said...

Wow, that looks amazing! I'm salivating (and I just had a big breakfast). Keep the recipes and photos of your food coming. I'll watch this food channel any day! btw: I haven't forgotten about the sauces book. Also, I almost fell over when I read your: you can make your own jerky and I make my own kefir post on CFEB. You're amazing.

greebs said...

This sounds delicious - one comment I'd make is that I have found the Light Coconut Milk to be almost (though not quite) as tasty as the full stuff, and certainly a lot better for the waistline. A nice substitution that can only help with this stuff.

Also, (I guess I have two comments) when I'm making green curry, I always add a bit of Fish Sauce at the end. It really adds that special something and you should be able to find it at most markets in the Bay Area.

Post a Comment