Thursday, October 9, 2008 by Rebecca

Second PT session

So today was my second personal training session with Max (i think i failed to blog the first one :">)

We mostly worked on cleans and push jerks ... right before a WOD with ... cleans and push jerks .... more about that later. We were going to work on pullups, too, but my hands just weren't up to that yet. I tried just gloves - not so good - i tried tape and gloves - also not good - probably worse - tape without a protective bandaid HURTS - bare hands definitely not a go. Max said he'd work with me on pullups next week.

I think that the cleans are coming along nicely - though I haven't yet successfully cleaned a heavier weight than 45# - and the push jerks aren't too bad - the two main problems (as they always have been :-w) is getting my right side to do an equal amount of work as my left, and keeping my right knee from falling in/keeping even weight on both feet. Max got some good video of me doing 20 HPC and PJ for time with an empty 45# oly bar - i think the total was 6:25.

Today's WOD:
Five rounds for time of:
135/95 pound Deadlift, 15 reps
135/95 pound Hang power clean, 12 reps
135/95 pound Front Squat, 9 reps
135/95 pound Push Jerk, 6 reps
I did 3 rounds in 20:55. bleah.

Round 1 was with a 45 pound bar - 15# bar + 30# of weight
Rounds 2 & 3 were 35# - 15# bar + 20# of weight.

Round 1 went really long (9 minutes!) because i was trying to find a hex hey to get the collars off my bar, so i could take the weight down. I don't know whether it was fatigue from the PT session or what, but the 15# bar with 30# of weight felt a lot heavier than the 45# oly bar I had been using earlier. I failed my last front squat in the first round pretty awkwardly , and ended up on the ground with the bar bell on my lap. (Max said we were not allowed to drop the bars directly on the roof - so i tried really hard not to). But it was at that point that I decided i should be using less weight.

Round 2 & 3 were about 6 minutes each. I decided to call it a night when folks around me started finishing up, and my muscle strength started failing. I figured the work I'd done earlier + the three rounds I completed were plenty. I'm definitely going to be sore tomorrow. Heck - I'm sore now.


I'm sure i would have done a lot better starting fresh.

I think the front squats were actually the hardest exercise, followed by the cleans, and, interestingly, it was my wrists more than anything else that really gave out. I also think I really just need to learn to engage my back muscles ALL THE TIME. they're lazy. They don't work when I'm sitting, they don't work when I'm rowing or squatting, etc. - i always have to consciously 'activate' them. It's something I should work on when i'm just sitting at my desk @ work.

3 comments:

Melissa Urban said...

I'm working on locking down my back as well, Rebecca. Supermans are good for helping you figure out how that "arch" is supposed to feel. Lucky you to be working with a trainer!

Ev said...

Front squats are tough. I agree with Melissa, work on the supermen. Also, you can get on your hands and knees and go back and forth between arched back and rounded back--work on really exaggerating both. Another good one is the squat w/ elbows separating your knees, while you keep your upper body upright. Max often has class do this last one in warm up. You can also do squats while facing the wall, with your feet as close to the wall as you can get them, while still being able to squat down. Finally, situps are good for strengthening your lower back as well. GHD exercises work both the abs and the lower back.

Rebecca said...

Thanks guys! All good suggestions :)

Max told me I should be practicing the toes against the wall squats in our first session ... when we were really focusing on my squat form. I am not good about doing homework though. I need to be better about finding time to work on the little stuff outside of class.

Post a Comment