Friday, August 15, 2008 by Daniel

Last workout for a while

Went to Ironworks this morning to climb, but Tor was a no-show - guess I should have confirmed with him that I'd be there.

It's OK. LOTS to do today in preparation for leaving, and I'm so sore from the last couple days that I would not have been much use climbing. Still, as long as I was there...

33 Burpees
50 Thrusters at 65#

The burpees were in two sets (20/13). I'm working on the jump up out of pushup now - I can significantly increase the time if I don't come all the way back up to plank position before jumping, but this is a more explosive movement (feels kind of like clapping pushups) that tires me out faster, so I'm not sure it's worth it. I can't really do it after 10, anyway. I'll keep practicing it, though, as I like faster burpees.

The thrusters were really just laying the form groundwork for the level II thrustermania workout that I will need to do someday. They were not unbroken by any means. My thrusters are poor. I just don't have sufficient explosive power out of the squat to really help at all with the press portion, so it's essentially a squat and then a shoulder press. I think these are second only to burpees in killing my breath, too. I will endeavor to work on them more to ferret out the efficiencies in form, and I think once I get my 1xBW back squat, I'll switch to front squat in my 5x5's to help strengthen my thrusters.

We're getting on a plane tonight for Florida, and don't expect to do any exercise (apart from the burpees, and maybe some sea kayaking) while we're there. I'm looking forward to a full week off. We may check in here with photos and such.

3 comments:

Ev said...

Hi Rebecca and Daniel:
I hope you're enjoying your (seemingly endless) vacation :) I wanted to let you know that I have added a link to your site on to my health and fitness blog:http://healthyevelyn.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the inspiration!
Ev :)

Ev said...

R&D:
I just had time to actually look at your blog. I have to say, the first thought I had when I read that you'd learned some lessons about doing burpees was that something rather embarassing had happened involving Rebecca's top. I have a great beach story to tell you. Some other time.
Ev :)

Rebecca said...

LOL - that actually did happen the first day ... just a little though >.< I made sure that i was wearing sturdier tops if i was going to be doing burpees ;-)

Post a Comment