Wednesday, July 30, 2008 by Daniel

Wednesday Whoa-in

I haven't posted a Wednesday Weigh-in for a few weeks. I decided that being too OCD about it was hindering my weight-gain goals (I tend to over-think things). In tracking my calories, I'd freak out about how much I was eating, despite knowing that I wanted to gain, and so progress was stalled. Better, I figured, to just let go the reins and go nuts.

It's been working, but this week something noteworthy happened.

What went in:
I dunno.

Workout Summary:
3x climbing
2x strength (5x5)
1x CF metcon
1x I-don't-know-what-the-hell-Jeremy-was

What came out:
Weight: 183 (+3)
BF: 14.5% (+0.5%)
Chest: 38.75 (+1)!!
Arms: 12 (+0.25)
Hips: 38.75 +0.5)
Waist: 33.75 (+0.5)
Thighs: 22.25 (+0.25)
Calves: 14.75 (0)
Forearms: 10 (0)
Shoulders: 47 (+0.75)

Analysis
Wow. That's a helluva week! (the change numbers are just for this week, not for the entire period since my last Wednesday Weigh-in). So what changed? I can think of three things.
  • Not much metcon. OK, yeah, the Filthy Fifty was as metcon as they come, but apart from that I didn't really do much this week that was challenging cardiovascularly, except maybe my daily burpees which are still pretty minor.
  • Protein right before bed. I've determined that a protein powder shake right before bed makes it hard for me to fall asleep - I think it's the sugar, or chemicals, or something. However, this week I tried making shakes with a combination of milk, cottage cheese, and a handful of berries. Not sweet, and a mix of whey and casein to get me through the night.
  • GTG pullups. I went back to knocking out as many sets of 5 pullups through the day as I could, plus a max set right before bed.
Who knows if it was any of these things or some magical combination of these and something else - I'm sure I'll try this again and lose 5 pounds or something - but my HUNCH is it's the combination of the shakes and pullups, particularly the max set right before bed jumpstarting my nighttime GH spike.

Looking Forward
Well, now I'm in a bit of a quandary. My plan had been to turn around when my waist hit 34", suspend the 5x5's and cut back the calories a little to trim back down to 32" before starting up again. But if I'm FINALLY seeing real progress, do I really want to stop? I hate feeling "fluffy" (as the CF forum girls call it), but I'm not that worried about dropping the fat when the time comes. But what to do now? At this rate I'll hit 34" next week or the week after, so a decision is imminent.

No comments:

Post a Comment