Wednesday, June 11, 2008 by Rebecca

6-11-08 WOD

WOD 6-11-08

"Griff"

For time:
Run 800 meters
Run 400 meters backwards
Run 800 meters
Run 400 meters backwards

Our class was at an actual track today instead of at our gym - too much traffic and uneven ground on our usual running route to make running backwards safe, I guess - and I left work a little late and missed my turn off to get there, so i missed the whole warmup I got there just in time to start the run with everyone else.

The best thing I can say is that I didn't fall, and there were at least a few people still finishing up their last backwards lap when i started my last backwards lap, so not everyone completely lapped me, and it could have been worse, but i think I was still the slowest by 3-4 minutes. Sigh. Daniel Finished nearly a full 10 min ahead of me.

Annoyingly, I appear to have written down the times for the other Rebecca in my class (my brain wasn't really processing data when I wrote them down or I would have realized that the ones I was writing down couldn't possibly be mine) so I don't currently have my exact lap times, but I know that the final time was 22:05

My fuzzy recall is about 4:40 for the first 800, 10:?? after the first backwards 400, 16:?? after the 2nd 800 and 22:05 as my final time.

Ok. Running backwards is HARD. And scary. At first it was sort of like falling backwards and just trying to keep my feet under me. I finally sort of felt like i might be understanding how to do it properly about half way through the 2nd backwards lap; I was doing better at keeping my center of gravity over my feet and just shooting my feet back. I really felt it in my calves and in my glutes. Ow.

I had to walk a lot of the backwards laps just because my feet would get confused and it was either stop and walk or fall. So the limiting factor on my backwards laps was really just lack of coordination/strength - particularly in my right foot/calf. Going backwards I never had to stop because I was out of breath. I wasn't able to go fast enough to make that happen :P

Getting winded going forward was a whole other issue. I made it straight through the first 800 meters without stopping to rest. I took a short rest - water and had to re-tie my shoe before starting the first backwards - and then i had to rest in the middle of the 2nd 800. Should have taken a short rest after the backwards 400 instead and then i probably could have gone straight through the full 2nd 800. - everyone keeping all these laps straight?

I was having a really hard time managing my breathing. Generally I try to inhale for 4 steps and exhale for 2, sometimes that allows me to get a really deep inhalation and it's such a huge relief when I manage that. Sometimes I have to inhale for a 5th step to really get the full dose of oxygen, and that messes up my pattern, and I get all off kilter, but that full breath sure was worth it. sometimes i just end up panting on a 2 steps inhale 2 steps exhale, but I know I'm not getting enough air that way because if i only breath on that pattern I get a WICKED side stitch. Anyone have any tips about the best way to manage your breath when you run? Or at least the way that works best for you? maybe I'm over thinking it.

Since I missed the warmup I have this odd sensation of not having worked hard enough AND being totally zonked. Not sure how I can feel both things at once, but there it is.

We were going to introduce a couple of my coworkers to the joys of climbing tomorrow, but they flaked on us, so we're thinking about getting ourselves over to the GWPC for a CF class. It doesn't have the convenience factor of Iron Works - which is just 2 blocks from where I work. But Friday night there is a climbing competition that we're going to so we'll get some climbing in then, anyway.

Max hasn't posted the WOD yet, but we suspect it will be yesterday's National WOD. I've never tried weighted deadlifts with an oly bar before - just kettlebells, so that should be interesting

Actual Times for Griff - Courtesy of Max who still had them ... Whew!

800: 4:40
Backwards 400: 10:50 (6:10)
800: 16:10 (5:20)
Backwards 400: 22:05 (5:55)

Looks like i shaved 15 seconds off my second backwards 400 - even despite walking a large portion of it Though my second 800 was pretty pathetic. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment