Monday, June 16, 2008 by Daniel

5x5's

Deadlift: 195
Shoulder Press: 75

DL felt pretty decent - only felt woozy the first set. I'm still trying to figure out the best time to take a breath on a 5-rep set. Rip says to breathe when you put the weight down, and to reset on every rep, but that felt weird when I tried it today - like it wasn't a full set. I find that naturally I'm taking a quick breath at the top, but this may just be a bad habit I need to break.

The presses felt a lot harder than last week, at only five pounds heavier - definitely pushing my limits at this weight. Last time I was at 75, though, I wasn't able to do the full 5x5, so this is a slight improvement. I'll be really surprised if I manage 5x5 at 80# next week, though. So I might cut this down to 5x3 and then 5x1, and then drop the weight and start again.

2 comments:

MBL100 said...

Keep trying to get the same weight unless you fail 3 weeks in a row, the volume will be automatically adjusted downwards for you, you don't have to figure it out. Let's say you get to 90# and get 4-3-3-2-1, that's it for that week, and the next week you get 5-5-4-3-2-2, and the week after that 5-5-5-5-5 you can go up to 95#. If on week three, you get 5-5-5-5-4, in the following week you go back to 85# which you will easily get, and finally, in week five you should have 95x5.

Daniel said...

Thanks Max, that makes sense.

Post a Comment