Wednesday, May 27, 2009 by Daniel

Pick it up and put it over your head

I can't really say I have an ambivalent attitude towards thrusters. There's not much "ambi" there. I hate the fuckers. Consensus at CFEB is that they are the single nastiest exercise in the CrossFit canon - basically the demon offspring of a burpee and a barbell.

So with that in mind, you can imagine the joy with which we contemplated this puppy:

Five rounds for time of:
95 pound Sumo deadlift high-pull, 15 reps
95 pound Thruster, 15 reps

27:14RX

I'm not terribly proud of that time, but I'm quite happy about that "RX." Our thrusters are typically high-volume/low-weight, so I haven't attempted doing 95# thrusters for reps in many months, and I was worried about being able to do 75 of them. They were quite doable, which means that an RX Fran is now in my grasp. I'm anticipating having to do Fran at the cert next month, and I was afraid I'd have to scale it, which would have sucked. Now, whether I can do it in under 10 minutes or not is a different question...

As for this workout, I spent quite a lot of time resting. I typically knocked out the SDHPs in two quick sets of 8/7 - they weren't terribly difficult. The thrusters I did in sets of five across the board, and - since I didn't want to keep cleaning the bar - I didn't start a set until I was confident I could get five. I focused as much as I could on form, but my lower back was still hurting afterwards - probably from the high-pulls and from rounding my back at the bottom of the thruster.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thrusters are "the demon offspring of a burpee and a barbell."

Dude, you should trademark that... well said!

~Andrea

Post a Comment