Thursday, March 5, 2009 by Daniel

Strength Cycle, week 1

Today was the first workout in our experimental, 12-week strength cycle. I'm starting easy for the first couple weeks, aiming to hit current PR weights in the third week (80-90-100%) before moving on to true PRs. Even so, this felt good.

Back Squat x 5: 95 - 115 - 135
Back Squat x 21: 100
Bench Press x 5: 95 - 115 - 130
Bench Press x 21: 95
Forward rolls: 10 x 3

I warmed up with Good Morning Squats and Stripper Stretch (never knew that was what it was called), and worked hard to keep my chest up throughout the squats, with moderate success - of course, it isn't really heavy yet.

The supersets after the strength set certainly give the neuromuscular hit I hoped they would - I felt woozy and quite worked after the squats, like I'd just done a max effort deadlift set. I wasn't able to do all 21 without stopping for breath a few times, though I didn't have to rack the weight...I'm not sure if that counts as unbroken, or if I should be able to knock out 21 without pause - I'm kinda thinking the latter, but will need to do a little more research into the matter.

The forward rolls were fun. I got quite good at rolling straight back up to my feet without using my hands, and the big blue crashpads at the gym made it all totally painless. I'm thinking next time I should just use the regular climbing pad floor. They sure made me dizzy, though! It felt really good to work a gymnastic skill that didn't fill me with fear, though - baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment