Wednesday, March 4, 2009 by Daniel

Drinking from the Goblet

Max learned a new trick in New York, and couldn't wait to share it with us:

AMRAP in 20 minutes
  • 5 Honest Push-Ups
  • 10 2P/1.5P Kettlebell Swings
  • 15 2P/1.5P Goblet Squats

5 rounds + swings RX
(splits: 1:57 | 3:20 | 3:51 | 4:24 | 5:27)

I've been feeling a little sick the past couple days, since Helen. Nothing major, just a scratchy throat, but I have noticed a corollary: push extremely hard on a workout, then proceed to catch a cold. Tonight I decided that I wasn't going to do half-volume or anything, but neither was I going to kill myself. Which felt good, and a little bit like sneaking chocolate on a diet. I'm happy with the work that I did, though, as my back was feeling like it might cramp up immediately afterwards. And my rounds are surprisingly close to the average. (I just think there's probably an upper limit to the number of goblet squats we can do at this weight right now.)

Those goblet squats are hard! I'm happy we're doing them, as they're an assistance exercise to help me with my "good morning" problem on my back squats, but they were definitely the pain in the ass for this workout. Never have push-ups felt so luxurious, and the swings weren't even that bad - they were all unbroken. I was never able to do 15 unbroken squats, though - my arms and grip just couldn't hang on that long. And breaking these guys up sucks, because you've got to pick up the weight again and get it into that awkward position. I'm hoping my back won't be too sore tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

How did you hold the KB for the goblet squats? I've found that holding it by the horns works for me, but I generally only use a 25# bell.

But yeah, goblets suck.

Post a Comment