Saturday, February 21, 2009 by Daniel

Fight Gone Sandbag

I had a difficult time getting out of bed this morning. My entire posterior chain, from hamstrings to traps, was screaming at me. After staggering and wincing around for a while, I forced myself to do some stretches and deep breathing, and felt more functional. I wasn't sure how to approach today's workout, but in the interest of not damaging myself further or rendering myself incapable of motion, I decided to take it really easy.

Four Rounds
In this workout you move from each of five stations after a minute. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. The stations are:

1. Thruster 95#/65#(Reps)
2. Hang Clean 2P/1.5P (Reps)
3. Front Squat 2P/1.5P(Reps)
4. Clap Push-Up (Reps)
5. C2B Pull-Ups (Reps)

208 not-at-all-RX
(I did the women's weight for everything, and did regular pushups and pullups)



Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Total
Pull-ups
10
10
10
12
42
65# Thruster
10
10
10
10
40
1.5P Clean
10
10
10
12
42
1.5P Front Squat
10
10
10
12
42
Push-ups
10
10
10
12
42
Total
50
50
50
58
208


So I sandbagged the shit out of this one. The last round WAS hard, and I did have to push myself, but the first three rounds were only moderately uncomfortable, and since I could do all the reps unbroken, I usually wound up with ~30 seconds of rest between exercises.

I don't know how guilty I should feel about this. What is the appropriate level of intensity for a workout when you're already really sore? I still need to figure this out. My hunch is that it's better to absolutely kill yourself once or maybe twice a week and spend the rest of your time recovering than it is to maintain a doable rate across the entire week.

After showering I did some butterfly practice on the rings - I can consistently knock out a set of about five butterfly kips before my form fails and I lose the momentum. They are tiring and harder than regular kips, but they feel really good and FAST.

No comments:

Post a Comment