Saturday, October 25, 2008 by Daniel

Half-Murph

As blasted as I was yesterday, I couldn't believe it when I saw that Max posted Murph for today. I even had nightmares about it, I think. But I went to bed really early to get ~9 hours of sleep in hopes that I might recover enough to do the workout. Which sort of worked. I figured I'd start it, and see how I felt halfway through.

For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

37:27 ~50% (ran the full first mile)

It was the pullups that did me in. They just weren't there. Even apart from Wednesday's rips, I felt like I was working with puny little Tyrannosaurus arms. I couldn't even knock out the first set unbroken, and it quickly degenerated into sets of 2-3. I wore bike gloves, which did not help, I think - they mucked up my kip. The pushups and squats were actually not that bad.

But I was getting a bad vibe from my arms - specifically the forearms and biceps, which have been so sore the past couple days. My time wasn't good - shaping up to be over an hour - so I decided to call it at halfway through, and ran 800m. Here are the splits (rounds are 10-20-30):

Mile 1: 7:27
Five rounds: 4:05, 4:24, 5:20, 5:30, 5:47
800m: 4:50

I'm getting better about feeling OK with DNF'ing, but it still chafes a bit. I think this was the right decision, though - it felt like a solid workout and I wasn't wrecked for the rest of the day. Tomorrow Max has posted what looks like the easiest workout in CF history, to be followed by Tea and Cookies, so we'll go and hang out and celebrate the end of a particularly brutal workout week.

1 comment:

brian said...

Have you tried taping your hands Daniel? Done right, you'll find you can do lots of pullups even when your hands are already torn up. A good tutorial here if you don't already do this.

Post a Comment