Wednesday, August 27, 2008 by Rebecca

75% Murph

Murph. Ow.

I just want to start off by saying that I lost all the split data for this one, and I'm totally bummed about it. My watch ran out of 'laps' and stopped and wouldn't continue timing, and without really thinking it through (who can think in the middle of Murph?) I wrote down my time, cleared the data and started over. DOH! :'(

Warmup - missed a bunch of it - but some OHS w/ dowel, the burgner warmup w/ dowel, and 10 burpees.

WOD: Murph
For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed.
Results:
1:08:46 (ish)

Subs: pullups were done on the BIW gravitron @ 70
push ups were done using knees after round 3
last mile was only .5 mile

I think my first mile was 11:31 - tried to run 3 min walk 1 min - which worked for 2 rounds (through min. 8), and then i just ran as i could and walked when i had to. It realy started agravating my sore hip muscle, and by the end I had to start walking as much because of that as because of a lack of air.

Round 1-5 were cindy style 5-10-15
Rounds 5-10 were 10-20-30

I decided in round 4 that I was spending too much time trying to catch my breath in the transitions, and that i'd probably do better to make my sets longer. Unfortunately I no longer have any time data to see whether that was really true, but i think it helped.

For the first few rounds I really felt like i might be on the verge of my first visit from Pukie - which REALLY increased my rest periods. But in the later rounds - maybe because i increased the # of reps per round (?) - it was a little easier to transition from one exercise to the next.

I ran out of 'laps' after the 10 pullups in round 12/13 (26 laps is, apparently the limit) , and my time was 49:17.

I think that 70 on the BIW gravitron is probably too easy now - the only time i wasn't able to get 10 consecutive pull-ups is when my hands started slipping - nothing to do with strength. Next time (if i can remember) i'll set it to 60.

Pushups are still the devil. These were by far and away still the hardest part of this workout. My first round felt really strong - 10 strong full ROM pushups. Every round after that just got progressively harder. By the end of the workout - particularly the last 2 sets - my arms were failing completely. A 'good rep' was if I was able to control myself down to the floor instead of just falling. The very last pushup, i wasn't sure I was going to be able to push myself back up (even using my knees). I was wearing my HR monitor- and pushups seem to spike it higher than anything else. The few times i looked, it was as high as 160 or 170.

By the time i finished 75% of the reps, it had already been over an hour, and since I was pretty much at muscular failure with the pushups, I decided that that was enough, and if i was only going to do 75% of the reps, it made sense to me to do 75% of the running - so I only did .5 miles at the end. It was not a spry or quick half mile either. 6:39. Ouch.

I had hoped to do better. Like 100%. But I haven't been eating well this week, particularly not today, and the sore muscle in my hip has REALLY been bothering me the last few days. Hurts every time I stand up from sitting for any extended period of time. So, I am happy enough.

2 comments:

Ev said...

Wait, but you took like five minutes off your last time, despite feeling heinous, right? Awww, Murph will grow on you. He's kind of like a big teddybear underneath the big gnarly dudeness.
Good work!

Rebecca said...

I wasn't keeping track of times when i first started, so I don't know for sure, but Daniel's time was 1:10 the last time around, and I think my time was comparable ... and since i did 25% more this time, i am sure that I made huge improvements :)

I actually like Murph. (Big and scary though he be ;-) )

Post a Comment