Tuesday, April 29, 2008 by Daniel

Insanity on two wheels

Tonight, Shawn brought me to the East Bay training ride, a weekly event down at the Port of Oakland where racers ride together for about an hour.

It was pretty insane. 100+ riders running a pace set by cat 2 and 3 riders - usually around 25MPH. The headwind coming off the bay was VERY strong, making half the loop extremely difficult. I was never able to keep up with the group, except for about half a lap during what was probably their cooldown lap. It got easier once I took my jacket off - it was like riding with a parachute on!

Anyway, I have no basis for comparison so don't know if these are any good, but here are the numbers from the Garmin:
Total time: 55:07
Distance: 14.17miles
Avg pace: 3:53
Avg speed: 15.4mph
Max speed: 27.6mph
Avg cadence: 72rpm
Calories: 906 (I didn't have the HRM on, so don't know where it's pulling this from)

I worked VERY hard, but still clearly have a lot of work to do before I'm able to keep up with the pack for even a single lap. That'll be a victory when that happens (I do plan on going back).

No comments:

Post a Comment