Saturday, June 21, 2008 by Daniel

Going twenty rounds

For Time:
20 rounds

10 push-ups
10 KB swing 55#

39:35 RX


This is one of the first times I've done a weights-WOD RX'd at Ironworks, so it's a particularly proud day for me. That said, my ass is totally whupped. This one was a real killer. At first the pushups were the hard part, but after about halfway or so, they took a back seat to the KB swings...the thing with the swings is that it relies on the rhythm, so you can't really just stop in the middle like with the pushups (that said, all my sets of both exercises were unbroken) - you have to keep going, or else build up your momentum again. I don't think I've ever done this volume of KB swings before, much less at this weight. My wrists and hands were hurting from gripping the bell, and my middle back/lats aren't really talking to me anymore... or maybe it's that they won't shut up. Bill and I did it outside, and I'm just grateful I didn't slip and send a 55-pound kettlebell hurtling into the bicycle rack.

At the start, Max advised us to try and choose a pace and stick with it, rather than sprinting out the gate, so that's what I tried to do. I had hoped for 1:30/round, but actually wound up averaging 2:00. Still, I got one of the faster times in the class, so that's satisfying.

We went directly from class to Nicole's wedding, which was a lovely, traditional Catholic affair. The vegetarian meal was spaghetti with mini-toasts, though, so the diet did not fare well today...I haven't done my log yet, but I'll be surprised if I make it to my protein goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment