Wednesday, August 6, 2008 by Daniel

Snatches and Pullups, and a tweaked shoulder

So yesterday after my burpees I noticed a bit of pain in my shoulder (left deltoid, specifically). It quickly got worse before it got better, enough that I was pretty concerned - Tuesdays are my one pure rest day, and I did NOT want to be starting the workout week feeling injured!

Sleep helped a bit. The mouse that Felix brought in that scurried under the couch at 2am did not. Rebecca and I wound up tearing apart the living room before we finally got the mouse out from under the rug (!) into a shoebox and out of the house. Rebecca was thoughtful enough to document the epic battle:


So for today, and for the near future (until it feels better), I'm no longer doing the burpees in a straight set. Sets of five, sprinkled throughout the day. We'll see how that goes. I've also found that it's helpful to do a little stretching and mobility work before the burpees - I suspect that repeatedly jumping into sets of 20+ burpees while totally cold is what did this to me.

So, with the shoulder thing, it was with some trepidation that I approached today's WOD:

45 pound Dumbbell squat snatch, left arm, 21 reps
45 pound Dumbbell squat snatch, right arm, 21 reps
42 Pull-ups
45 pound Dumbbell squat snatch, left arm, 15 reps
45 pound Dumbbell squat snatch, right arm, 15 reps
30 Pull-ups
45 pound Dumbbell squat snatch, left arm, 9 reps
45 pound Dumbbell squat snatch, right arm, 9 reps
18 Pull-ups

34:44, 30# Dumbbell

Splits: 14:15 | 13:39 | 6:50

Worried about further injury, I was very cautious today. I chose a lighter dumbbell than I really needed, focused hard on form, took frequent rests and stretched whenever I could. I think I made it through OK - my shoulder has the same dull ache it had before class, so I don't think I made it any worse.

So it is with that in mind that I don't feel too bad about this time, despite its being one of the slowest times in class. I think I was getting the hang of the squat snatches, particularly once I started thinking of them as weighted jumping squats. Still, I was never really going low enough on the landing.

I was pretty pleased with the pullups, actually. 90 pure kipping pullups in one class is a PR for me. I did them in sets of 7 or 5, and think I'm getting much more efficient in my kipping form - not leaning back so far or yanking my shoulders so hard in their sockets, and coming to the top in a vertical position (rather than curled up in a ball). The GTG pullups that I'm doing at home are definitely helping. At this rate, 20 kipping pullups can't be too far away!

No comments:

Post a Comment